Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Busy Day

It has been a busy day. I put the finishes touches on tomorrow’s sermon, “Glory on a Mountain.” I will be preaching from Matthew 17 about Jesus’ transfiguration. The disciples seemed to be in denial whenever Jesus predicted His crucifixion, but Moses and Elijah, representatives of the Law and the Prophets, understood. They appeared with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration and talked about His imminent decease.

Soon, churches will emphasize Jesus’ crucifixion, and rightly so. He voluntarily shed His blood for our sins because He was devoted to the Father’s will and loved you and me. His death was a vicarious, expiatory, substitutionary sacrifice that God accepted on our behalf. By raising Jesus from the dead, God proved we were justified by Jesus’ blood.

On the Mount of Transfiguration, the flaming wick of Deity shone through the clay lantern of Jesus’ humanity. Peter wanted to commemorate the event by making three booths: one for Moses, one for Elijah, and one for Jesus. Perhaps he thought Jesus was about to inaugurate His kingdom, and therefore the festival of booths (Feast of Tabernacles) was an appropriate celebration.

But Jesus had come to redeem, not reign. He would embrace the cross. Someday, He will accept a crown.

The rest of the sermon is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I also commented today on lessons submitted by three of my writing students, and I tried to encourage a fourth student who feels overwhelmed with responsibilities.

Further, I completed the writing of a VBS lesson for fifth and sixth graders today. Hats off to those who write for or teach kids. It’s tough work.

I think my dogs knew I needed a break from all of today’s busyness. They treated me to a three-mile walk.

All in all, it was a good day. I am looking forward to tomorrow, the Lord’s Day.

No comments: