Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Monday, August 18, 2008

What's Your Language of Choice?

Years ago I studied French for five years and German for four years, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. However, I have rarely had an opportunity to use either language, so my French and German vocabularies dwindled significantly. I think I should wade into a new language while my brain waves are still somewhat active. Spanish seems to be the right choice.

Have you noticed that every Christian is fluent in either the language of praise or the language of lament? One looks beyond his or her trials and says, “Praise the Lord.” Another fails to look beyond his or her trials, and exclaims, “Woe is me!”

I know Christians who see only thorns in their circumstances, but thankfully I know others who see the roses. Frankly, the thorn-seers aren’t any fun to be around. Their personalities jab like thorns. The rose-seers, on the other hand, display a pleasant personality. Their beautiful spirit attracts me, and shows me they have been lingering in the presence of Jesus, the Rose of Sharon.

David, the psalmist, employed the language of praise. He had experienced numerous trials, including those he endured in caves and ravines as a fugitive from King Saul. Through it all David focused on God’s sovereignty instead of Saul’s spite. Because he trusted in God, he expected to emerge from trials as a victor and not a victim. He wrote in Psalm 33:20, 21: “We wait in hope for the LORD; he is help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.”

If you know someone who ought to learn the language of praise, why not share Psalm 33:20, 21 with him or her? You might just help that person stop saying, “Woe is me!” and start saying, “Wonderful is He!”

© 2008, Jim Dyet

No comments: