Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Friday, January 30, 2009

Sunday's Coming

The Super Bowl should be entertaining, but I don’t have a clear favorite. I like both teams. Our son was born in Altoona, Pennsylvania, just 90 miles east of Pittsburgh, and I have always favored the Steelers except when they played the Broncos. But Arizona borders Colorado, where Gloria and I and our son, daughters, and granddaughters live, so I am drawn to the Cardinals. Also. I like the way the Cardinals rallied late in the season to pull off amazing victories, and I have heard that Kurt Warner, the Cardinals’ quarterback, and several other Cardinals are Christians. Undoubtedly Christians play for the Steelers too, so I think it is unwise to believe God favors one team over the other. As far as I’m concerned, football is a non-theological contact sport. So permit me to be ambivalent until the game is well under way.

I will be preaching from the first chapter of the book of Jonah Sunday morning. When the Lord commanded the prophet Jonah to go to Nineveh and cry against it, Jonah disobeyed by booking a ship headed for Tarshish. As you know, his disobedience landed him in a whale of trouble. It is always best to obey God!

I plan to preach from the book of Jonah each of the four Sundays that remain in my interim ministry at Penrose. A permanent pastor begins his ministry March 1.

What will I do when my current interim pastor ministry ends? The answer lies in the Lord’s hands. I am open to go where He sends me and to do what He wants me to do. I have no intention of packing my bags and checking into a retirement community in Tarshish.

No comments: