Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Westboro Baptist Church and the Military

The United States Supreme Court upheld the right of the Westboro Baptist Church to protest at military funerals. The church’s right to protest is protected by the First Amendment.

As an ordained Baptist minister of the gospel, I strongly object to Westboro Baptist Church’s conduct at military funerals. I find it ironic that its members hold signs like “Thank God for IEDs” and “Thank God for Dead Soldiers.” Don’t they realize men and women of our Armed Forces have given their lives to protect our freedom, including the freedom that allows Westboro Baptist Church to shout and wave their offensive signs?

It’s appalling that these protesters call themselves Baptists. Most Baptists I know are grateful for the sacrifices our military men and women make. They consider them heroes worthy of our deepest admiration, and they pray regularly for them and their families.

A few adjectives describe how I feel about the Westboro Baptist Church members’ conduct at military funerals: despicable, deplorable, disgraceful, disgusting, repulsive, repugnant, reprehensible, rude, irreverent, insulting, insolent, and inflammatory. (The use of alliteration shows I am an ordained Baptist minister, doesn’t it?)

I just wanted to go on record as an ordained Baptist to say I disdain Westboro Baptist Church’s actions. I’m sure you share my feelings and can join me in saying, “God bless our brave men and women in uniform, and God bless the United States of America!”