Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sinus Infection and Spousal Reflections

It’s Sunday, and I will not be preaching. A sinus infection has sidelined me. A retired pastor, who attends the church I am serving as the interim pastor, will sub for me. I will miss the usual fellowship and ministry I have come to enjoy in Penrose, and I hope to get well quickly so I can minister next Sunday.

I wasn’t feeling well yesterday, but I conducted a funeral service in Florence, Colorado, for an 87-year-old woman who attended church with her husband Ed until they became too frail to attend. They married in Chicago in 1945 when Ed returned home from World War II. Mildred’s death ended their 63-year-old marriage.

Ed and Mildred’s long marriage honored their commitment to love each other until death. Unfortunately, some couples separate before 63 days of marriage. Their irreconcilable differences may include disagreements about such matters as money, in-laws, meals, and TV program selection. A few marriages grow stale faster than leftover wedding cake.

Christians who honor the Lord may enjoy not only a long-lasting marriage but also the prospect of a joyful reunion in heaven. Death may remove one spouse from the other, but the separation is only temporary.

“ . . . let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband” (Eph. 5:33).

No comments: