Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Old-Fashioned Isn't Necessarily Bad

When I lived in the Chicago area from 1990 to 1995, I started collecting wood-shafted golf clubs that predate 1935. I actually played with wood-shafted clubs when I was a kid, so nostalgia surrounds this collectibles hobby. Antique golf clubs with Scottish cleek marks are my favorites.

Clubs in my golf bag are a different story. You won’t find any antique clubs there. Club-building technology has come a long way since 1935. For example, the driver in my bag, a Taylor Made R-7, comes equipped with adjustable screws in the head. If I turn the screws, I can help control the directional flight of the golf ball. I haven’t done that yet, because my drives tend to be straight. Always have been!

Like most things, church culture has changed dramatically in recent years. Whether the changes have been good will have to be judged ultimately by the Lord, the Head of the Church. Nevertheless, we can ask how well we represent Christianity in our modern world. Do we have an impact on the world or a compact with it? Has our changing methodology advanced biblical theology or eclipsed it? Do our daily lives conform to the will of God or to self-will?

I wouldn’t want to go back to the days of hickory golf clubs, but I must confess I long for some old-fashioned Christianity to invade modern-day Churchianity.

No comments: