Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Kids Ask the Hardest Questions

When some inquisitive kids in Children’s Church asked the director some profound questions, she instructed them to write them on a sheet of paper. She would pass the questions along to the pastor, she promised. So before the children leave this morning’s worship service to attend Children’s Church, I will answer the following questions: “How old is God?” “When did God begin?” and “What time was God born?”

My challenge is this: How can I explain “eternal” to a seven year old? Because God is eternal (Deuteronomy 33:27, He has no beginning or end. He has always existed, and always will exist. He created all things, and gives everlasting life to all who believe on His Son as Savior (John 3:16). Although we cannot wrap our minds around the meaning of “eternal,” we can accept by faith the fact that God is eternal.

Young children are abstract thinkers, so my answers about God’s birth and age will not fully satisfy the seven year old’s curiosity, but I hope he will know I appreciate his asking them. On the other hand, if my answers help in some small way, I may move on to answer another hard question (not asked in Children’s Church): Is sacerdotalism a threat or a contribution to ecumenism?

No comments: