Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Winter of Life

Our temperature dropped from 70 Thursday to 40 yesterday, and we may get a trace of snow Monday. Golfers will be disappointed, but I am not able to play golf anyhow. My left knee has disabled me, and the pain has been intensifying day by day. I haven’t been able to take my three dogs for a long walk for nearly a week. I’m sure they feel deprived.

Hardly a day goes by that I don’t hear from one of my former Moody classmates. We graduated from Moody Bible Institute (Chicago) in 1957. Although almost 52 years have passed, our student days seem like yesterday’s events. But what I hear now from the Class of ’57 grounds me in real time. Some classmates have gone to be with the Lord, but the rest of us remain on earth, where we endure a wide variety of physical challenges.

Yes, the body ages and groans, but God’s grace remains fresh and abundant. So do our opportunities to honor Him. As long as we draw breath, we can also draw from God’s unlimited grace and treasure a statement made by our professor of Greek, Kenneth Wuest. He remarked that “the servant of God is immortal until his life’s work is done.”

The winter of life may not be pleasant, but spring is just ahead!

No comments: