Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Life Is Fragile

Another stark reminder that life is fragile hit me this morning. I was having breakfast with Doug Hirt, an excellent fiction writer, when we learned that Lisa, a personable waitress, died Sunday of a ruptured brain aneurysm. She was only 44.

Gloria and I got acquainted with Lisa when she interrupted us one day when we were offering thanks for our food. The three of us enjoyed a laugh over what had happened, and Lisa mentioned a “tract” she had received from a Jehovah’s Witness customer. After the meal, I gave her a book I had written: All Good People Go to Heaven and Other Religious Lore. She was so touched by this gesture that tears welled up in her eyes and she hugged me. I was embarrassed by her display of emotion, but was glad she received the book so enthusiastically.

The book I gave Lisa refutes false notions about the way to Heaven and explains that Jesus is the only Way. He gives eternal life to all who trust in Him as Savior. I hope Lisa embraced salvation by faith in Jesus.

One never knows when life will end. In the normal course of life the old must leave Earth soon, but the young might leave at any time. Some people say when your number’s up, it’s up. I say it is important to know the One who puts the numbers up.

The Bible promises, “He who believes in the Son [Jesus] has everlasting life” (John 3:36).

No comments: