Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Picky or Perceptive?

You might think I’m picky. Maybe I am. But when it comes to picking a church, I look first and foremost for one that has solid Bible preaching with life application. I also look for one with caring people. Frankly, it bothers me if people greet one another only when the pastor or worship leader says, “Now let’s take a couple of minutes to greet one another” Big deal—saying hello to visitors only when commanded to do so is meaningless. How about greeting visitors with a smile and a friendly greeting before the service and after the service?

It may be picky to evaluate (I didn’t say “judge) a church’s caring for others by additional criteria:

(1) Does the pastor or any member of the church call or write to visitors to let them know their visit was appreciated?

(2) Does the pastor or any member of the congregation follow up with visitors with an offer to provide information about the church’s beliefs and programs?

(3) Does the pastor or any member of the congregation show concern when a person is sick, injured, hospitalized, or experiencing some other trial?

(4) Does the pastor or any member of the congregation express concern when a churchgoer is absent for several Sundays?

Perhaps my standards are somewhat high. In the 50 years I served as a pastor, I followed the four practices I listed. Am I wrong to expect others to follow them? Am I picky and old-fashioned, or am I expressing what is on your mind too?

No comments: