Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Niagara Falls

My son-in-law Brad accompanied me to Niagara Falls last week. It was his first visit there. I grew up in St. Catharines, Ontario, about 10 miles from the Falls. I had almost forgotten how beautiful and lush the Niagara region is, especially on the Canadian side. Parks and lawns are manicured and graced by an abundance of multi-colored flowers. Numerous fruit stands along the Niagara Parkway testify to the health and vigor of the orchards and vineyards that flank the road.

The region has changed in some respects. Niagara Falls is much more commercial than it was in my youth, and it costs $13 now to park within walking distance of the Falls, whereas parking used to be free. When I was a kid, the cost to cross the Rainbow Bridge from Canada to the U.SA. was 25 cents for car and driver and 10 cents for each passenger. Today it is a flat toll of $3.25. However, one fee remains the same after all these years. It still costs only 5 cents to ride the carousel at Port Dalhousie, Ontario.

The purpose of the trip to Niagara was to visit my brothers. My older brother, who lives on the American side of the Falls, is battling cancer, but is maintaining a good attitude and reliance on the Lord for daily strength. My younger brother lives on the Canadian side of the Falls and is in good health. My son-in-law and I played golf with him at Thundering Waters, Niagara Falls, Ontario, and at Niagara on the Lake, Ontario.

Life moves along quickly and change is inevitable, but the Giver of life does not change (Malachi 3:6; Hebrews 13:8). His grace flows even more abundantly than the waters that cascade over the Horseshoe Falls, and that grace flows to you and me every day. If you visit the Falls, you will see a rainbow. The Bible identifies history’s first rainbow as a sign of God’s promise, and Revelation 4:3 describes a rainbow around God’s throne. Life often challenges our faith, but God’s grace and promises support us at all times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn´t like how they have changed our Falls. They are too comercialized. It´s like a Las Vegas now.

Like you said change is inevitable and praise the Name of the Unchangable ONE!