Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Music or Mania?

I can’t read music, but I enjoy listening to it. Accomplished musicians and singers can make the mind peaceful and the heart joyful. Such music offered to the Lord in worship must surely honor Him, bless the congregation, and help to prepare hearts to receive a biblical message. My taste for music likely differs greatly from that of a teenager, whether the “teenager” is 15 or 35. I haven’t been able to accept rock music as an appropriate worship style.  Frankly, I think someone needs to tell the rockers they don’t have to yell like hockey fans and beat their guitars and drums to death for God to hear them. I may be hard of hearing, but God hears even the faintest prayer and whispered praise.

 If I want to do aerobics, I can join an aerobics class at a gym. If I want to hear rock music, I can go to a rock concert. I just don’t want aerobics and rock to mix at church as so-called worship.

You can file these thoughts under “Personal Opinion,” but before doing so, please read John 4:24 and Colossians 3:16 again.

No comments: