Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Make Room for Rover!

I’m glad Molly, Rosie, and Sadie have a safe home and owners who love them. But thousands of dogs are homeless. Abandoned by owners or suffering the consequences of over breeding, many homeless dogs live in locked cages or other confined spaces. Many suffer physical abuse. Some circle nervously hour upon hour because they can’t run free. Probably, they will never experience the fun of playing fetch or enjoy a friendly pat on the head or a stroll in a park.

Fortunately some kind souls rescue dogs and find good homes for them. Our daughter Sherrie lavishes love on four rescued dogs. Having three dogs, my wife and I cannot add to the pack, but every time I see dogs up for adoption at PetSmart, I want to bring them home.

If you have room in your heart and home for a dog that needs a friend and wants to be your friend, why not grab a dog collar and a leash and visit a dog adoption shelter? There’s a dog there that’s right for you.

Christians should never be content to enjoy the safety and blessings of belonging to Jesus’ fold without trying to bring others into it. Jesus said, “I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also” (John 10:16). Perhaps today you will reach out in compassion and love to someone who needs to be rescued. There is always room in Jesus’ sheep pen for another rescued person. He promised, “All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out” (John 6:37).