Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

No Effort, no Reward

When I ask our three dogs if they want to go for a walk, Rosie the poodle and Sadie the Coton de Tulear bark excitedly and rush to their leashes, but Molly the Maltese turns and runs upstairs. A walk in the neighborhood doesn’t interest her. However, when I ask if she wants to ride in the car to a park and walk there, she barks excitedly and waits for me to attach her leash.

When Rosie, Sadie, and I returned to the front door this morning after a walk, I said, “Watch, Molly will come downstairs and meet us when we go inside.” I was right. As soon as I opened the door, Molly came downstairs to meet us. Here’s why. Whenever the dogs and I return from a walk, I give each of them a treat. Molly wants a treat without having to do anything to earn it.

Molly is a smart dog, but she lacks a good old-fashioned work ethic.

Consumerism has invaded our churches. Like Molly, many churchgoers don’t walk the walk, but they wan\t a treat. As a result, churches, small and large, have far more shirkers than workers.

Someday, Jesus will reward His faithful servants. May He find you and me faithful!

No comments: