Books authored by Dr. James Dyet. Purchase on JamesDyet.com

Sunday, March 2, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes!

I have been thinking the words of an old song (I don’t know any new ones): “What a difference a day makes, twenty-four little hours.” Yesterday was a summer-like 74 degrees with lots of sunshine. Gloria and I drove from Colorado Springs to Denver to see our daughters and granddaughters. Jim and Sherrie were celebrating their 17th anniversary. It seems only yesterday I performed their wedding at Galilee Baptist Church in Denver. The Denver Nuggets’ mascot, Rocky, was on hand for the reception. Gloria and I had driven from Chicago for the wedding.
Hundreds of motorcycles and many convertible with tops down shared the road with us yesterday. At one point, a James Bond Astin passed on the right. Sherrie later checked out the make and model’s price on the Internet. How does $180,000 sound? Don’t look for me to pass you in an Astin any time soon.
But back to my topic: Today’s temperature is a 28 degrees, the wind is slamming into Colorado Springs at 48 mph, and snow is on the way. It is already snowing in Denver at Monument Hill just 20 minutes north of the Springs. I plan to leave for church in Penrose much earlier than usual. Maybe I can drive ahead of the approaching storm. Doing so would be no problem if I owned an Astin!
Twenty-four hours can make a huge difference in Colorado’s weather, but it can also make a huge difference in our lives. We can’t guarantee tomorrow’s circumstances. “Do not boast about tomorrow,” Proverbs 27:1 advises, “for you do not know what a day may bring forth.”
Today offers us an opportunity to worship and serve God. Let’s not waste it or take tomorrow for granted.

No comments: